Preparing for Fatherhood
A class for new dads and non-birthing partners.
Taught by postpartum educator, Zyanya Breuer of Adapting to Love, with the help of her husband, Atish Kalyan. We’ve designed this class as an opportunity for fathers to connect, learn more about how best to support your partner and stay connected, ask any questions you have, prepare for transitions into parenthood, and practice some basic newborn care skills like swaddling, diapering, and babywearing.
This class is designed for anyone who identifies as a father or non-birthing partner and is expecting a baby or currently in the newborn stage (0-3mo). However, parents of babies up to 1 year old will certainly have plenty to learn from and share with the class as well.
We will take a long break in the middle of the workshop to have lunch together. The price for the workshop includes your catered lunch (we will ask for dietary restrictions).
- Supporting birthing-person’s healing and recovery. Supporting birthing-person’s identity shift.
- Supporting your own transition into parenthood, finding support from your community, managing visitors, family, expectations, work.
- Intimacy and sex postpartum. How to remain connected physically and emotionally when sex is off the table.
- Fatherhood: Examining your own expectations of fatherhood, your goals for yourself. The importance of fathers.
- Equal parenting. Distribution of responsibilities at home and with baby care.
- Communication and conflict management with partners during times of stress and sleep deprivation.
- Baby 101: Bathing, burping, sleeping (patterns and swaddling), babywearing, diapering.